Monday, October 13, 2008

kenyon in lafayette

Pretty sure this was one of the greatest weekends. Hanna's visit was amazing! Even though I probably miss Kenyon more now, it was definitely worth it. First night in, we had amazing cajun food. Hanna had crawfish etouffee and fried crawfish tails while I had the crabmeat au gratin. Just drool, do it! Gosh. After, we of course experienced the amazingness that is a drive-thru daiquiri. God Bless America, especially Louisiana. Here's the kicker. If you know anything about me, you will know that I love freaking Clamato. Give me budweiser, clam juice, tomato juice, and a splash of lime and I'll dance a little dance. Now, we stopped for me to pick up milk for my mom and a can of Clamato for myself. Later in the night, Hanna tried some and..... LOVED IT! Officially, aside from Mr. Leeds, Ms. Goldberg is the second person to like it! I was so excited about it!

Anyway, Friday was fun. Lafayette has a festival called Festivals Acadiens where we celebrate everything Cajun and Creole. So in the morning, we went to the park where we found out that I was totally wrong and they were only setting up for tomorrow's kick-off in the park. Since we were near campus, we walked through it on our way downtown. Lafayette is basically made up of suburbs with splashes of ghetto and farmland. Downtown, however, is this quaint one street area that is actually worth exploring. We caught some great Caribbean food and drank margaritas and mojitos. After a visit to a boutique, costume shop, and tobacco store later, Hanna and I sat in Parc Sans Souci, cute little area where there's a water fountain coming out of the ground, kind of like the one in Easton where all the kids play. We watched a retro critical mass congregating and little fat kids rolling around the water. It was pretty entertaining. The festival's actual beginning was actual this thing known as Downtown Live, which is basically an excuse for old people with kids to come outside and get drunk from 6 to 8 every Friday. That quickly lost its appeal after the expensive beer, the new age Cajun music, and old folk. We did some more sitting but were persuaded by some friends to go to this sushi place called Bonsai. Great food, just pricey as shit and way too hip for me. The lights were dulled neon colors and the techno music seemed a bit out of place for good ole sushi. Mmmm.. sake! We separated from my other friends and headed home to freshen up.

Maybe what actually made the weekend was video chatting with Mr. Dunford. Hanna and I were talking to Mike when at one point he got up to use the restroom. While Hanna and I were just chatting, his apartment mate walked in completely confused out of his mind. We spent the next hour trying to make funnier faces and scenarios. We captured a few hilarious screen shots. At the same time as this transcontinental communication was occuring, I got a call from Mr. Ivan Gaytan who told me he had just ran into Luke Brandon. Man, talk about Kenyon connection. Made me nostalgic alright. Unfortunately, Hanna left Saturday afternoon, but not before we spent the morning at the park eating all the foods they had to offer: seafood jambalaya, chicken and sausage gumbo, red beans and rice with sausage, crawfish fettucini, etcccccc. It was pretty cute to sit around watching the couples dancing the two step.

Even though it was short, it was great. It was not only refreshing to be hanging out with a girl, but it was a friend who got me outside of high school. It felt like I was acting like myself for the first time in a while. Gosh!

Aside from this, my kitten is about to get spayed and I'm so scared for her. Could you imagine getting fixed? I guess we do it anyway, but when you were 4 to 6 months? I can't. Just feels like such an important alteration, that would be completely life changing. I suppose.

She's the love of my life and cute as hell! And possibly getting a sister... we shall see!

No comments:

Blah Blah Blah